Thursday, May 7, 2009

Twittering

If I can't seem to keep our blog post updated my question is should I twitter? I tend to be long winded so that would keep it short. I just watched a cool 2 minute YouTube tutorial on it and it seems easy but do people want to know what people are doing all day long. I'm so busy I can barely keep track of my life how do I keep track of everyone's lives as well? Maybe it's worth a shot. Then when I forget to twitter that I'm running to the bathroom and don't update my blog site for several weeks and then am late in responding to some one's email and miss several phone calls I can REALLY feel bad! Maybe there is too much connection. Whatever happened to actually taking a moment for a coffee date with a friend and having a face-to-face conversation? I like a supermarket real time twitter...you run into your buddy in the aisle..."hey what's up?" the pertinent things come out and you're off to grab your next item on your list. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

4 comments:

Lisa Spangenberg said...

Hi

Yes, you should Twitter. I wrote a post about it here:

http://northwestspecialties.com/news/2009/05/01/wineries-without-websites

It's dead easy. The virtue of Twitter is two-fold; it's short--you are limited to 140 characters--and it's immediate.

You can, for instance, Twitter, very easily, from a cell phone and send a shot of the vines, or of a barrel tasting, or whatever.

The immediacy, and the ease of garnering an audience, makes it a marvelous way of creating a community of customers.

Please do join us--there are a lot of us wine writer, wine bloggers, and wine-drinkers and buyers on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/LisaSpangenberg

http://twitter.com/medievalist

wine girl said...

Hi Lisa!
Thanks for the link to your article. It was interesting and informative! I'm still on the fence with twittering...love the concept...not sure about the constant connectivity and pressure to post. I really love having personal face-to-face time. A quick side story, I was at coffee with friends the other day and I realized just how connected people now are to their PDAs. We were all talking and catching up and every now and then I'd see someone sneak a look down and you'd see their fingers typing away. Maybe they were letting folks know what they were doing or maybe they were twittering or maybe it was a quick "hey" to a friend. My point is that it then felt disconnected. I think there is a way to blend Twittering in to the daily routine. For now, we have a website and a blog. Yes I know, I'm not great at updating it! :-) But I'm working on it. To date I haven't added a "status" line on my Facebook page.

Again, thanks for your note! I'll promise to keep thinking about the next virtual frontier...twittering!

Lisa Spangenberg said...

I'm a total geek, it's one of my professions, but Twittering, answering email, taking non-emergency cell phones at meetings, social events, or a the dinner table? That's rude. I don't do it.

On the other hand, if I'm out and I see something--a tree in bloom, a new wine label, I will take a picture on my cell phone and Twitter it.

It's not a substitute for face-to-face interaction. It is a good enticement to it though--I've had people I only know on Twitter suggest a wine to try, and even, where to buy it. I found you guys via a Twitter rec, and am awfully glad.

wine girl said...

So guess what...I was in a meeting this morning and I snuck a peak at my Blackberry and saw your note...I then wanted to respond but thought I'd better get back to focusing on my meeting and respond when I was back at the winery! I should have twittered, "I'm in a meeting!" :-) I will go on record to say that we're thrilled that you found us via a Twitter recommendation and I will definitely keep the dialogue about opening my own Twitter account alive! I realize I talk about Twittering a lot more now...who knows...someday!

Smiles & Twitters!