Monday, October 15, 2007

Fun in Walla Walla

O.k....last weekend was a whirlwind. Started off Friday afternoon with a celebration of our great aunt's life. Margaret Bergevin passed away October 7th at the age of 93. Her funeral was mixed with sadness but an undercurrent of strength. She left quite a legacy. Her immediate family are made up of many farmers and cowboys. The younger folks and out of town folks felt a little out of place without their Wranglers. I saw a few new pairs of boots (current purchases) in the tasting room over the weekend! We saw relatives we have not seen in some time and met many new ones as well. So, our thoughts and prayers are with Great Aunt Margaret. Your presence made the world a happier place!

We had our first chance to meet our cousin Jake Bergevin, his wife Christina and their two boys. He is a fabulous Jazz musician as well as a really nice guy. He and his band ended up doing a little improv down at the Backstage Bistro on Friday night. You can check out Jake's website at www.jakebergevinmusic.com We have both of his CD's in the tasting room.

While that was going on I was attending the 5th annual Entwine auction. It was a really nice evening, great auction packages, really fun people and The Marc did a great job. I had to give a speech (which could be a whole story in itself) and it was in front of the whole group, approximately 405 folks including Governor Gregoire. Can you say nervous??? I'd tell you how it went but I can't remember...think I blocked it out. ;-)

Saturday the tasting room was busy and full of really cool people. We caught up on news about our good friend Bear (one of the owners of West Seattle Cellars) and he is doing much better so hugs and kisses Bear! We miss you.

Saturday evening was spent with friends. Without mentioning names I think I'm still laughing at our conversation. I'll be watching the mail to see if we get an evaluation on the evening. I hope we passed! I'd love at least 1 - 2 exceeds expectations. These folks just made it possible for 100 children in Laos to receive new uniforms compliments of Dennis Uniform and FedEx. You can check out the story (go to May 7th) at www.wegougo.blogspot.com We had dinner at Saffron, Island and the whole crew were amazing! We then went over to Backstage Bistro and listened to Gail Pettis. Her vocals are amazing and she sang the best rendition of Happy Birthday I think I've ever heard to our friend Julie. We shared a bottle of Jaden's Reserve 2003, had some 1994 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon, a glass of champagne, decaf coffee and we were full. I mean stuffed...no more room!

Sunday I cooked most of the day and made the Cook's Illustrated, Nov/Dec 2007 Pot Roast using a bottle of our 2004 Merlot. The evening was spent with family, our dear friend "E", and an amazing 2002 Leonetti Reserve, thank you dad!

All in all...what a nice weekend. The sun was shining...Life is good.

1 comment:

Jake Bergevin said...

You guys are the best. Thanks for mentioning me and my site in your blog. Have a fantastic holiday!!!
Love, Jake